There are lots of things to consider when dealing with touchy topics such as childhood obesity. Kids are touchy about it. They know what they look like and reminders are not always appreciated. The parents are touchy because they think it shows that they have bad parenting. The rest of society is touchy because they do not necessarily do what it will take to stop the epidemic. . Here are some reasons we might want to take touchy things out of
1) bullies : Any child who is different is going to be a target for bullying. While more and more of our children are overweight, those who stand out in the category are going to be dead on the bullseye. Teased and tormented not help in any way, shape or form. . In fact, it is dangerous because the child can turn to food for comfort, making the problem worse
2) Eating disorders :. People, especially children, want to fit Once a child has learned that overeating is the cause (or one of them) to be out of the ordinary, they can try any number of methods to stop. Unfortunately, these methods can lead to bulimia, anorexia and other eating disorders
3) Education :. A miserable child has difficulty concentrating on what he or she is trying to learn. The focus can be on the inside, which makes listening and focus on class work very hard
4) health :. This is the most important reason why we need to protect our children from weight issues. Young people in their twenties have strokes and heart attacks. Children are treated for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes increase. Being overweight can cut years off of life, and cause life altering conditions
5) Self Esteem :. Even without bullying, self-esteem is going to suffer. All it takes is a mirror and television. Knowing that you are over the weight limit may cause poor body image. This can lead to depression and sometimes to serious problems. Some can be cut, and some have committed suicide in this matter
6) National Security :. Due to health issues caused by obesity, many men and women who want to join the army are turned away. This issue has been brought up on the news, and it’s something to pay attention to. If our military has trouble getting recruits, how are we going to be able to defend ourselves?
Although everyone can help deal with this issue, the greatest burden on the parents. Instead of beating them to have overweight children, we should offer them the support they need to make informed decisions about what their children eat and do.